General Information about Direct Loans
Direct Loans are low-interest loans for students to help pay for the cost of post-secondary education. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education rather than a bank or other financial institution.
If you had a Stafford Loan in the past, you must complete the new EMPN (Electronic Master Promissory Note) for the Direct Loan Program, however you do not need to complete entrance counseling again.
How to Apply for a Direct Loan
1. Go to www.studentloans.gov
2. Under Manage My Direct Loan, Sign in using your FAFSA PIN.
3. If you have had a Stafford or Direct Loan in the past, skip to Step 6.
4. If you have never had a Stafford or Direct Loan, click on Complete Entrance Counseling in the middle column (please allow 30 minutes for completion).
5. When you complete the Entrance Counseling click on You May Submit a Master Promissory Note (MPN). Skip to Step 8.
6. Click on Complete Master Promissory Note in the middle column.
7. Click on Subsidized/Unsubsidized
8. Everything else is personal information and is self-explanatory
9. If you have additional questions, call your financial aid counselor