The Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program is available to undergraduate students who meet the following criteria.
1. Answer yes to at least one of the following questions. Are you:
- Receiving financial aid AND a first generation college student? OR
- A member of one of the following groups: Native American, African American, Latino/Hispanic American, Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander
AND meet all of the following criteria:
2. A full time student of Southern Nazarene University who has maintained a minimum of 3.0 combined cumulative grade point average. (GPAs of less than 3.0 may be considered as space allows.)
3. A student who will have completed at least 56 hours when accepted into the program.
4. A student with a serious desire to pursue graduate study leading to a doctoral degree.
5. Either a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States of America.
6. Able to commit focused time to an intensive research project.
7. Committed to success and excellence.
If you feel that you meet the qualifications above, you may begin the application process. If you have any questions please call the McNair Scholars office at (405) 789-6400 ext. 6540.
Application Process includes:
- Online Application (click here)
- Two Letters of Recommendation (click here)
At least one letter should be from a faculty member from your department.
- Personal Statement Essay
Essay instructions are at the end of the online application.
- Income Verification
We need to verify your income by obtaining ONE of the following items:
- A signed United States or Puerto Rico income tax return (this is the easiest to obtain) - I just need the first two pages of the 1040 that shows taxable income but it MUST have a signature (can't be electronic signature)
- A signed financial aid application (this is difficult to get because they are submitted electronically now)
- A signed statement of income from your parent or legal guardian (or yourself if you are independent)
- Verification from another governmental source (this is rare).