What do I need to do in order to secure a room for the fall?
- Roommate profile completed and registration deposit paid.
- If roommates request each other, both must have these turned in before a placement is made.
- Roommate Pairs must BOTH request each other as a roommate preference on the roommate profile or email firstname.lastname@example.org or they WILL NOT be placed together.
When will I know my Room Assignment and Roommate?
- You will be notified by mail at your home address of your Room Assignment and Roommate, along with contact information for your roommate on the following dates based on when your roommate profile and registration deposit are received:
- 2nd week of June
- 1st week of July
- 4th week of July
- Those that register after will be informed as quickly as possible when their information is received.
Can I switch roommates?
- Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate roommate changes after rooms are assigned and communicated. Within the first 2 weeks of school, each suite or roommate pair will complete a covenant to be proactive about any potential concerns. Residence Life Staff will also be available in that time and throughout the year to be sure each roommate pair is set up for success.
When can I move in?
- All new students can move in between 8:00 am-2:00 pm on Friday, August 16th.
- Those involved in fall sports that begin practice early will get move in information from their coach.
- We are unable to accommodate early move-ins due to cleaning and inspections that occur before residents are able to move in. Residence Halls will open at 8:00 am on Friday, August 16th.
Who is responsible for cleaning my room?
- Students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms, bathroom suites (excluding Snow) and/or apartments. Students will sign up for responsibilities each month and Resident Advisors will do cleaning rounds every other week. Students may checkout a vacuum cleaner from their RA.
Are my personal belongings insured?
- The university is not responsible for any theft, loss, or damage of students' personal property. It is highly recommended that students obtain renter's insurance through their insurance provider.
What are the residence hall policies?
- Residence Hall policies and all University policies can be accessed online through the SNU Website (www.snu.edu/handbook) or through students’ MySNU site. The handbook provides specific information regarding student services and university policies. All students will also sign a Lifestyle Covenant and will have the opportunity to hear from and speak to the Resident Director within a week of their arrival to review all expectations in the residence hall and on campus.
What furniture is provided in the Residence Hall?
- Each room in Bracken, Hills and Snowbarger is furnished with a bed, dresser, desk and desk chair for each resident. The living rooms in the Hills suites have a couch, loveseat, dining room table and chairs, 3 cubes (to be used for coffee table or side tables) and a full size refrigerator.
- Each apartment in Chapman is furnished with a bed and a full kitchen (including full size refrigerator).
Is NSI (New Student Institute) required?
All events throughout the NSI program are required for all incoming students 23 years of age and under. Students need to clear their schedules for this entire time in order to fully engage and participate. Residents will sign a Housing Contract either at Storm Surge or when they arrive in August.
How does the drawing to be placed in the A.M. Hills Residence Hall work?
Roommate profile + Registration Deposit completed by 1st week of May = Eligibility
- All eligible individuals are placed in a random number drawing. If they have signed up with a roommate and the roommate is drawn, they are automatically placed in Hills. Those that have not signed up with a roommate are placed in the drawing twice to give ensure each student has an equal opportunity to be drawn.
- If a student does not have a preference they are included in the Hills drawing.
- The first 56 females and 32 males drawn (either individually or with roommate) are placed in Hills.
How does the room placement process work?
The Hills drawing must be done the first week of May in order to enter charges that allow students to take advantage of the 12-month payment plan. We know this is a great benefit to parents and students and want to be sure information is entered to make this possible.
- Once charges are entered, the Residence Life Department spends the remainder of May focusing on the details involved in closing each hall for the year and preparing halls for conferences/camps and summer housing students.
- The first week in June, roommate profiles are gathered and sorted based on living area preference and roommate profile details. Incoming students are then placed in suites and hallways and letters are sent out to those that have been placed.
How will I be notified of my housing placement?
Placement letters will be sent to the home address that has been provided in the admissions process. The letter will include your residence hall, room number, roommate (if you have been paired with a roommate at the time letters were sent) and the roommates’ contact information.