Bachelor of Arts History Degree
Our history program boasts a breadth of curriculum that allows students to take courses in a broad range of U.S. and world history subjects. Our professors all hold Ph.Ds in history and have a combined experience of over forty years in higher education. We are committed to a rigorous academic program and to providing students with a Christian liberal arts learning experience.
During their studies, successful students in history will learn to:
- clearly evaluate the assumptions, presuppositions, and arguments embedded in secondary sources
- interpret the meaning of peoples as expressed in their writings (primary documents) and to explain effectively their impact their ideas had on their culture
- conduct sound historical research that includes identifying relevant information, evaluating authority, and retrieving, recording and managing information for use in research
- place events and their participants into historical and chronological context and to explain why actions that took place in the past are historically significant
- develop awareness of where history took place by locating regions, countries, cities, and other geographic features on world maps
- - 46 credit hours of combined credit hours in core and elective classes
- - a minor in another field is required
- - 6 credit hours of a foreign language is required for a B.A.
- - a semester abroad is not required, but highly encouraged
Success after Graduation
Many SNU history graduates choose to pursue graduate degrees in history. Former students have entered gradate programs at schools across the country, including Baylor University, Rice University, the University of Oklahoma, and many others. Others have entered graduate programs in fields such as museum studies, law, public administration, and theology.