Southern Nazarene University is seeking to fill a part time (27 hours/week) lab manager position in the Department of Biology beginning August 2014.
The candidate must have, at minimum, a bachelor’s degree with a major in biology or chemistry. The candidate should be a recent graduate with experience as a teaching assistant or have prior experience as a research technician in a research lab. The candidate should be committed to the pursuit of academic excellence with an enthusiasm for student interactions.
• Preparation- Order lab materials and coordinate with teaching assistants preparation of materials for the lab exercises.
• Teaching- Assist teaching the anatomy, physiology, cadaver dissection, freshmen biology laboratory courses and others as needed.
• Safety- Compile MSDS information on all chemicals used in each lab and make sure the correct safety precautions and equipment are present in each lab.
• Equipment Maintenance- Coordinate all maintenance on large equipment as well as smaller instruments such as microscopes and pipettors.
• Purchasing – Work with faculty and the administration assistant in purchasing lab supplies including work on the Portal systems; coordinate with Dept. Chair on budgeting.
• Chemical Monitoring- Oversee disposal of all expired chemicals with the CHO and work with the CHO to compile a list of all chemicals used by the biology faculty.
• Lab Annex - Organize lab supplies and equipment in the new Lab Annex.
• Updating of Lab Exercises- Keep up with lab techniques, which are rapidly changing.
Commensurate with experience and in harmony with the SNU hourly pay structure.
SNU offers B.S. degrees in biology, biology/chemistry (as a joint major with the Department of Chemistry) and environmental studies. The majority of students are preparing for a medical or physician assistant graduate school program. Thus, the department is committed to offering the quality of coursework necessary to prepare students for successful admission into graduate and professional programs. In addition, the Biology Department operates a field station in Costa Rica; the Quetzal Educational Research Center (QERC) is a 4000 sq. ft. laboratory, classroom, and dormitory complex situated on a 400 acre site along the Savegre River in San Gerardo de Dota. The department maintains and staffs the facility while coordinating visiting research scientists and student education groups as well as conducts a spring semester study abroad program through QERC.
Contact Dr. Carrie Bentley (firstname.lastname@example.org), Biology Department Chair, directly to indicate your interest and ensure that your name is considered.
Candidates wishing to apply for this position should submit:
1) letter of application;
2) curriculum vita;
3) a two-page statement highlighting the candidate’s perspective and understanding with regard to the integration of Christian faith and learning, as well as the integration of Christian faith and science;
4) three letters of reference;
5) and copies of academic transcripts to:
Southern Nazarene University
6729 N.W. 39th Expressway
Bethany, OK 73008
For additional application information please visit: http://snu.edu/staff-job-openings.
Thu, May 8, 2014
by Chris Peterson