Southern Nazarene University is seeking to fill a part time (25 hours/week) lab manager position in the Department of Biology beginning August 2013.
The candidate must have, at minimum, a bachelor’s degree with a major in biology or chemistry. The candidate should be a recent graduate with experience as a teaching assistant or have prior experience as a research technician in a research lab. The candidate should be committed to the pursuit of academic excellence with an enthusiasm for student interactions.
· Preparation- Order lab materials and coordinate with teaching assistants preparation of materials for the lab exercises.
· Teaching- Assist teaching the anatomy, physiology, cadaver dissection, freshmen biology laboratory courses and others as needed.
· Safety- Compile MSDS information on all chemicals used in each lab and make sure the correct safety precautions and equipment are present in each lab.
· Equipment Maintenance- Coordinate all maintenance on large equipment as well as smaller instruments such as microscopes and pipettors.
· Chemical Monitoring- Oversee disposal of all expired chemicals with the CHO and work with the CHO to compile a list of all chemicals used by the biology faculty.
· Updating of Lab Exercises- Keep up with lab techniques, which are rapidly changing.
Hourly Pay Structure:
Commensurate with experience and in harmony with the SNU hourly pay structure.
SNU offers B.S. degrees in biology, biology/chemistry (as a joint major with the Department of Chemistry) and environmental studies. The majority of students are preparing for a medical or physician assistant graduate school program. Thus, the department is committed to offering the quality of coursework necessary to prepare students for successful admission into graduate and professional programs. In addition, the Biology Department operates a field station in Costa Rica; the Quetzal Educational Research Center (QERC) is a 4000 sq. ft. laboratory, classroom, and dormitory complex situated on a 400 acre site along the Savegre River in San Gerardo de Dota. The department maintains and staffs the facility while coordinating visiting research scientists and student education groups as well as conducts a spring semester study abroad program through QERC.
Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and the State Board of Education, Southern Nazarene University (SNU) is a private, liberal arts university with a variety of undergraduate, graduate and adult education programs. As a Christian community of scholars, we model the hospitality of grace, the pursuit of truth and the practice of discipleship, all within the Wesleyan-holiness tradition, as we prepare graduates who THINK with clarity, ACT with integrity and SERVE with purpose. SNU has an enrollment of approximately 2000 undergraduate and graduate students.
SNU is located on a 44-acre site in Bethany, a western suburb of Oklahoma City. Oklahoma’s largest city, Oklahoma City is at the crossroads of three interstate highways (I-40, I-44, and I-35) and is served by several national and regional airlines. Oklahoma City was listed in August 2011 as one of the top 10 best places to live in the United States by the Wall Street Journal. SNU also has an additional campus in Tulsa, OK, which is 90 miles from Oklahoma City.
Contact Dr. Carrie Bentley (email@example.com), Biology Department Chair, directly to indicate your interest and ensure that your name is considered.
Candidates wishing to apply for this position should submit:
1) letter of application;
2) curriculum vita;
3) a two-page statement highlighting the candidate’s perspective and understanding with regard to the integration of Christian faith and learning, as well as the integration of Christian faith and science;
4) three letters of reference;
5) and copies of academic transcripts to:
Mr. Chris Peterson
Director of Human Resources
Southern Nazarene University
6729 N.W. 39th Expressway
Bethany, OK 73008
Emailed application packets preferred, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at Rm 306 Bresee Hall
For additional details regarding SNU or how to apply for this position, please scroll to the bottom of the page and read the "ADDITIONAL APPLICATION INFORMATION".