TEACHER EDUCATION ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS - SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
In order for a teacher candidate to be fully admitted to the SNU Teacher Education Program, the following requirements must be met:
- Full admission to Southern Nazarene University
- Completion of ED 2111 – Introduction to Education/Teaching Lab, including 12 clock hours* of observation and all evaluation forms
- Successful completion of a minimum of (24) twenty-four credit hours of all college coursework
- Enrollment in ED 2162 – Foundations of Education, including 12 clock hours* of observation and all evaluation forms
- *A total of 24 clock hours of observation from ED 2111 and ED 2162
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Pass the OGET (Oklahoma General Education Test) (OGET information may be found a www.ceoe.nesinc.com)
- A grade of “C” of better in a basic Speech Communication course
- Successful interview with the SNU Teacher Education Admissions Committee (Interviews conducted during Spring and Fall semesters)
- Completion of English Comp I with a passing grade
- Completion of English Comp II with a passing grade
- Completion of a college level Math Course with a passing grade
- Demonstration of a positive interest in teaching by prior experiences and activities, in interview setting as noted on the Teacher Education Admission Interview Guide, and noted on field experience evaluation forms - Evaluation by Cooperating Teacher of Field Observations -1A and 1B.
NO CANDIDATE WILL BE PERMITTED TO TAKE ED 4273 (Professional Decision Making) OR BE ADMITTED TO THE PROFESSIONAL SEMESTER (STUDENT TEACHING) UNTIL FULL ADMISSION TO SNU TEACHER EDUCATION PROGRAM.
Once ALL of the above requirements have been met, candidates will receive confirmation of admission from the Office of Teacher Education.
NOTE: After admission to the SNU Teacher Education Program, Teacher Candidate must MAINTAIN minimum 2.5 GPA to remain in good standing. Any candidate who drops below 2.5 minimum will be placed in PROBATIONARY status and will not be allowed to continue in program until GPA meets 2.5 minimum.