You are a very important part of your
child's career planning. Student surveys show that your support is extremely
important during career exploration and job search.
SNU Career Services and Student Employment would like to partner with you in this journey for your student. We are committed to keeping you informed
about the services available to your student and
about ways that you can assist career services.
What you can do:
- Encourage your student to work on career planning throughout his
or her college career.
- Resist the temptation to steer your student toward a major simply
because it fits your interests. Students are more likely to be successful
in school and in their careers if they're doing what they enjoy.
- Encourage your student to visit the SNU Career Services and Student Employment Office. We are located in the basement of Webster Commons in the student development suite of offices.
- Support internship and volunteer opportunities. Employers are interested
not just in a person's college degree, but also in what s/he has learned
and done. While internships and volunteer positions may not pay well, their
long-term value is priceless.
- Pray for your child. Ask for the Lord to lead them in the direction He would want them to go.
Information is excerpted from The Parent's Crash
Course in Career Planning, by Marcia B. Harris and Sharon L. Jones