Southern Nazarene University’s Graduate Programs in Counseling offer four start dates annually.
Groups start in …
Oklahoma City Campus
- August (Early application deadline is March 1st; regular admissions deadline is June 1st)
- January (Application deadline is October 15th)
- October (Application deadline is September 15th)
- February (Application deadline is December 15th)
1. You must meet the following requirements to apply to our program…
- Hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Have a satisfactory score on the TOEFL (international students only)
- Have taken at least 18-hours of psychology related undergraduate coursework, two of which need to be an Intro to Psychology course and Statistics
- Have maintained a 2.70 GPA
2. Send us your official transcripts so we can verify that you meet our requirements.
For Oklahoma City campus applicants:
Transcripts can be e-mailed to (email@example.com), faxed (405-491-6375) or mailed to:
Southern Nazarene University
6729 NW 39th Expressway
Bethany, OK 73008
For Tulsa campus applicants:
Transcripts can be e-mailed to (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mailed to:
Kim Roach Southern Nazarene University
8210 E. Regal Court
Tulsa, OK 74133
3. If you do meet our requirements, you can complete the rest of the application materials, which are…
- Online Application
- Three Recommendations– We prefer two of these be from academic sources; however, at least one does need to be academic in nature.
- Work History Form
- Writing Exam– This will be e-mailed to you once you request the link from us. We will send you your login information. (See the Writing Exam Information below for more information on this requirement).
- Background Check Release– Our program requires a background check for all applicants. Filling out and sending in this form authorizes us to conduct your background check.
- $50 Application Fee– Please make checks payable to the SNU Graduate Programs in Counseling.
3b. If you do not meet our requirements, we will give you recommendations regarding your next step.
4. Once we hit our admissions deadline for your group, we will contact you to set up your interview.
- You will be a part of a couple of individual interviews and a group interview process.
- Our admissions committee meets to decide on the applicants for our upcoming group.
- You will be informed within a couple of weeks after your interview whether you were accepted into the program.
5. If you are admitted into the program, then you must complete the following:
- Contact Financial Aid to arrange your finances for the program (405) 491-6685.
- Take the APA exam and pass with a proficiency of at least 80%.
- Pay an $185 non-refundable enrollment fee (fee is waived for SNU alumni or McNair Scholars)
Writing Exam Information
This will contain two timed writing exams. One is an issue and the other an argument response. Each is timed. You will be scored on your ability to analyze an issue and argument along with being evaluated on your writing ability. This section allows you to take both the argument and issue sections twice.
Further, the writing exam contains a counseling vignette for you to respond to and a goals essay telling us why you are choosing counseling. Neither of these are timed or scored, they are just for our purposes in regards to the admissions process.
Interview Information The interview is designed to assist the faculty in determining the fit between the applicant and the program/profession. The program seeks to admit students who best reflect key characteristics of effective counselors in the field. You should receive information about interviews within five working days after the application materials deadline.
While the Admission Process is being completed, now is the best time for you to complete the Financial Aid Application Process. Please refer to the link below for our Financial Aid Department to gather more information about the financial aid process or contact them directly at 405-491-6685.