This year come join us as we work in the Monterrey community refurbishing Nazarene churches and parsonages, holding Vacation Bible Schools, ministering in mobile medical units and sports camps.
Information about this year’s trip:
We are meeting at Rio Valley Church of the Nazarene in McAllen, Texas at 6 AM on December 27th. We will be leaving by no later than 8 a.m! If you are flying into McAllen, please make sure that your flight is scheduled to arrive sometime on the 26th. When making travel arrangements to go home, please don't schedule any flights to leave before 5 P.M. on January 2nd.
Please make a separate payment by check for $25 per adult (18 years and older) made payable to SNU and send to Lori Cable c/o SNU, 6729 NW 39th Expressway, Bethany, OK 73008.
Download the Background Check Form here (PDF)
(All background checks and fees need to be in by November 15th 2016).
Background Check Rights Document (PDF)
Jim Johnson Memorial Chapel
This year Southern Nazarene University COM2MEX and the North Mexico District are working together to celebrate Reverend Jim Johnson’s ministry with the construction of a new chapel at the North Mexico District Campground. This memorial project will help fund and construct a much-needed new chapel roof. This year is the 20th anniversary of the unexpected passing of Rev. Johnson and both the North Mexico District and SNU COM2MEX have chosen this special project as a way to show their love and respect for the missionary work of Rev. Jim and Mary Johnson. We are looking for those with craftsman and construction experience to be on the “campground team” for this special project.
Mission goals for this year:
- 200 participants minimum
- Work alongside Mexican brothers and sisters
- Reaching communities through children’s activities and sports
- Basic construction
All for the gospel of Jesus Christ!
Please note! Each adult needs to submit a completed background check form.
Anyone 18 years and older must preform a criminal background check. You can either get it done and notarized on your own, or download and fill out the following form and fax or mail it to us.
People who had a background check for last year's trip won't need to get another one this year's trip. However, new people will still need to have a background check.
It is recommended that people have passports, not passport cards. For people with passport cards, we have to pay for a visa and it takes considerably longer.
Full amount is due by Dec. 1st 2016 but half of your money must be paid by November 1, 2016.
Because of deposits and materials needing to be purchased, please be sending in your funds as soon as possible!
If you try and submit a a payment and receive an error message, please do not click resubmit!
Contact us first, and we will help get it worked out. Thank you! firstname.lastname@example.org
Mail checks to:
Commission to Mexico
SNU, 6729 NW 39th Expressway
Bethany, OK 73008
This year's cost is $595 and it covers:
- Meals in Mexico
- Hotel room (4 person occupancy - double bed size) (If you would like your own room or your own bed - additional fees apply - please email email@example.com for information.) Please note that minors need to stay in rooms with guardians unless previous arrangements have been agreed upon through SNU.
- Transportation from McAllen and back, and daily transportation to work sites.
- Accident insurance
- Daily water supply
- Construction and medical supplies
- Publicity materials
Please check with your District NMI President for scholarship information.
What to bring:
- Christ-like attitude
- Willingness to serve where asked
- Passport or passport card for border crossing
o Under 18: Parents must sign and notarize a permission document (upload permission document link here) (document is attached in this email). Note: please make sure it does not expire within 12 months of the trip. Remember, passports for under 18 are only good for 5 years!
- It is recommended that people have passports, not passport cards. For people with passport cards, we have to pay for a visa and it takes considerably longer.
- Conservative, non-work clothes for church service
- Swimsuit for the hotel
- Closed toed shoes (please, no sandals)
- Basic Medications if required
- Personal Hygiene Items
- Spending money (your discretion for snacks, souvenirs, offering, etc.)
There are many places in McAllen, Texas to convert American Money to Pesos (although they close at 5) or a few places in Monterrey, Mexico.
- Alcohol, drugs, tobacco
- Fireworks (even purchased in Mexico)
A Few Things to Note:
- Although it is not a requirement, we ask that if possible, half of your trip is paid for by November 1st in order to cover materials and other budget items that need to be ordered in advance.
- Full amount is due by Dec. 1st but because of deposits and materials needing to be purchased, please be sending in your funds as soon as possible!
- Mission Trips do require a bit of sacrificing on our part, so please be prayerful as you continue to raise funds
- One of the most exciting parts of a mission trip is seeing how the Lord blesses us with a strong community of people who want to support us and help us reach out communities around us. Before asking for a scholarship please go to your local church, family members, friends and allow them to share in this experience by partnering with you. We have many people who would like to participate but have trouble raising funds and if possible, we would love to provide scholarships on an as need basis.
- If you are able to give above what you require, keep in mind that it could be a huge blessing to another team member!
- Commission to Mexico is considered a 10% giving Mexico trip, see the church of the Nazarene’s website for more information
Transportation to McAllen, Texas?
- We are meeting at Rio Valley Church of the Nazarene in McAllen, Texas at 6 AM on December 27th. We will be leaving by no later than 8 a.m! If you are flying into McAllen, please make sure that your flight is scheduled to arive sometime on the 26th. When making travel arrangements to go home, please don't schedule any flights to leave before 5 P.M. on January 2nd.
- All participants must find their own way to this location. McAllen does have its own airport with many shuttles to local motels! There are many motels in McAllen, TX. We will be meeting at the Rio Valley Church of the Nazarene at 1400 West Nolana Avenue in McAllen, TX.
- Materials needed for this year: We need basic OTC unopened medications (especially pediatric medicines and stuff like cough medicine), new and used glasses, Spanish evangelism tracts, and various VBS crafts.
Need more information? Call 405-491-6693 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Commission to Mexico,
Southern Nazarene University,
6729 NW 39th Expressway,
Bethany Ok 73008