Southern Nazarene University recognizes the sacrifice that has been made by our nation's active duty service members, veterans, and their families. SNU is a Post 911 GI Bill® Yellow Ribbon Program Participant and was also named a "Military Friendly School" in both 2015, 2016, and 2017 by G.I. Jobs Magazine.
All of SNU's education programs, including our Professional and Graduate Studies programs, are eligible to use with VA Educational Benefits. For more specific information on how your VA Education Benefits will work according to your educational goals, please contact Veteran Services by emailing them at email@example.com.
RECEIVE EDUCATION BENEFITS
1. To apply for Education Benefits, go to: https://www.vets.gov/education.
- If you have used benefits at a previous institution or will be changing programs, you must submit Change of Program/Place of Training form available through the Vets.gov website:
- Students who have previously utilized benefits at a different educational institution use VA Form 22-1995
- First time education benefit applicants use VA Form 22-1990
- Dependents using transferred benefits use VA Form 22-1990e
- To apply for The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) Program, use VA Form 22-5490 for new applications and VA Form 22-5495 for those who previously utilized benefits at a previous educational institution.
- A notice will be sent to you stating the benefits for which you are eligible, called a Certificate of Eligibility, which must be submitted to the Veteran Services Office at SNU when received. Those who qualify for chapter 1606 will need to submit a Notice of Basic Eligibility to the Veteran Service Office as well.
2. Receive Certification of Your Benefits:
Your SNU Certifying Official will certify your benefits according to your enrollment and billed cost of tuition and required fees. This certification communicates your enrollment and expenses to the VA electronically so they can award your eligible benefits. Expect a 2-10 week time frame for all benefits to be received.
- If you receive Chapter 30 or 1606, you must complete a Student Verification of Enrollment on the last day of the month. This is done through the W.A.V.E. portal or by calling 1-877-823-2378.
3. Receive Re-certification of Your Benefits by Term: Your SNU Certifying Official will certify your benefits by term or class (PGS students) in advance to ensure timely awarding of benefits. You must notify the Office of Veteran Services of all enrollment changes as far in advance as possible. If you register for a class, drop a class or change programs, notify the SNU Veteran Services Office immediately.
4. Effective Fall 2018: Per Public Law 115-48-Section 107, the VA is required to calculate the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on the location (zip code) where the individual physically attends the majority of their classes.
MHA will no longer be based on the “Institution” location of the school where the individual is enrolled. This means, for example, that students attending SNU at the Tulsa campus may receive a different MHA than a student attending SNU at the Bethany campus. The MHA is based on the military Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) at the E-5 with Dependents rate. The zip codes for SNU locations are: Bethany (73008), Tulsa (74133), Del City (73115), Sulpher (73086), Durant (74701), Fairview (73737), Poteau (74953), Ardmore (73401), Sallisaw (74955), and Valient (74764).
The BAH Calculator can be found here.
Important VA Phone Numbers:
VA Education Hot Line: 1-888-442-4551
Monthly Verification of Attendance: 1-877-823-2378
Direct Deposit: 1-877-838-2778
Other VA Benefits: 1-800-827-1000